With the ever-growing number of populations in urban areas, transport sectors have shown a lot of improvement when it comes to operations management and improvement of efficiency. Thanks to technologies such as bus passenger counters, fleet managers can now analyze data provided and make better decisions that will help improve on services offered.
Below is a beginner’s guide to bus passenger counters and their benefits.
What is a Bus Passenger Counter?
Just as the name hints, a bus passenger counter is a system used mostly by the public transportation sector to provide information about passengers who get in and out of the bus, routes taken by the bus, and the stops made.
Benefits of Bus Passenger Counter
There are several benefits that the system provides. Here are some of them.
- Counts the number of passengers boarding and alighting the bus – In the past, most fleet managers used to review videos and count the number of passengers. This could sometimes lead to human error. With the bus passenger counter, you do not have to worry about this since it uses intelligent video analysis to detect the number of passengers by analyzing their movements in and out of the bus.
- Flexible adjustment of bus capacity – There are different routes that buses take daily. With the data provided by the system, the fleet manager can decide on the type of bus to allocate on each route based on the number of passengers recorded daily. If route A normally has more passengers, then it may be wise for them to use a larger bus. If route B has fewer passengers, then it will be wise to use a mini-bus.
- Helps in route planning – With the data recorded from the software, the fleet manager can come up with efficient routes for every bus to take. Based on the pedestrian population in each bus, the numbers can be aggregated easily. This enables public transportation providers to anticipate transportation demand and practically simulate network-level adjustments. For detailed information on this, click here to find out more.
Tips to Know When Buying a Bus Passenger Counter
Several tips may help in your buying process. They include the following
- Differentiate costs – You can go online and check what different sellers offer. Some will sell at a higher price and others at a lower. Always check the features of the system such as battery life, heat resistance, waterproofing, and so on. With this, you are assured of getting the best products.
- Always read reviews – Other customers’ reviews tell you a lot about the product. You can watch YouTube channels and read comments to see if the system worth paying for or not.
Bus passenger counters have helped a lot when it comes to the scheduling planning and management of public transportation because it allows for the adjustment of transportation services based on observed demand, hence improving the level of service provided to users. With the above article, you are now aware of the benefits for passengers and what it means.